Wednesday, November 22, 2023

It's Sad That Trans Day Of Remembrance Needs To Be A Thing


It's Sad That Trans Day Of Remembrance Needs To Be A Thing


I'm getting ready for Transgender Day Of Remembrance as I write this. This is the day when we gather in our groups in several cities throughout the United States and even around the world. We mourn those who lost their lives during the past calendar year.

Primarily, we're talking about those who died in violent ways from people who show no respect or value to their lives, but there are also those who die due to suicide. Suicide is something that deeply affects our community. This day is a day in which we remember all the lives lost.

We all light candles, and the names are read out loud. We will not let them be forgotten. At times it doesn't feel like the world is getting better, but it actually is. More people are aware of what it is to be transgender, and they show some compassion.

We've made incredible gains during the last 20 years as more awareness has been created about who we are. We've made gains in health care, job opportunities and housing opportunities. Even families are more accepting towards their trans children than they were a couple of decades ago.

As has always the case when we make gains, there is push back against those gains. We are being used as a political talking point this election season. The powers that be want to take away the gains we've made for trans youth and in the process strike down the progress made for trans adults. They want to take away our health care.

I've written on this topic. I don't believe those pushing against the trans community are going to ultimately win. They will lose as more people understand that trans rights are human rights. You don't have to love us. You don't have to hang out with us. However, you do have to respect our right to be.

I don't like that we have to gather like this to mourn the losses we've had in the last year, but it's very important. We need to realize that we aren't where we need to be yet in society. When there's a movement against us, we must speak out and make our voices loud and clear.

Another indication of where we are occurred prior the Trans Day Of Remembrance gathering closest to where I live. I was pretty sure I knew the location, but they were vague in their advertisement of it on social media. They didn't name the location, and this is out of concern for potential violence. They wanted to make sure I or anybody interested in attending wasn't going to be a problem.

I don't believe anything is going to happen (it didn't), but I understand the concern. They wanted to know a little bit more about me before they would even give me the location. I do a lot of things online, but within the community here, I haven't done enough. Other than being on TV at Trans March for a news report, my voice hasn't been as loud as I'd like it to be.

Once I told them a little bit about myself, I got the location. I feel I need to be there for this one to speak for those who can't be there. When I light my candle, before names are named, I think of Gwen Araujo, who's story resonated with me as I came out.

We will gather this evening and remember those we lost this year with love in our hearts. We will use our voices to speak their names out loud, because they can't. Even though this event happens this year, we strive for the day when people aren't murdered for being transgender. One day, we will get there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trans Rights Are Human Rights Is More Than A Slogan

Trans Rights Are Human Rights Is More Than A Slogan I'm working on expanding my social media activities beyond X, and one of the reasons...