Thursday, November 23, 2023

Trans Day Of Remembrance 2023 Observations

Trans Day Of Remembrance 2023 Observations



Another Transgender Day Of Remembrance has come and gone. My old hometown happens to be the only city in the county with an LGBT community center, and they've been doing TDOR gatherings for the last decade. This was my third time.

You can't escape news about the transgender community these days, and this is in large part because we've been turned into a political talking point by people on the right. In some states, trans healthcare is being jeopardized. 

It started out with politicians claiming to be protecting the children, who in this case happen to be trans and are not being shamed back into the closet. With some people calling for the eradication of transgender people in general, it's no surprise that these states are also taking away trans healthcare in general.

For years, transgender people have been the victims of violent murder, brutal attacks and serious depression. Some in the community have even taken their own lives. For over 20 years, we've gathered to mourn the deaths of those within our community.

At the event I attended, 34 names were written on pieces of paper for us to read out loud. In fact, I had been listening for a certain name to be read. When I didn't hear the name of Brianna Ghey, I brought that to the attention of the organizer and was allowed to remember the life of the 16-year-old from England, who was murdered back in February.

Before we get into naming the names, there are speeches from various people within the community. Then, we each light a candle. When I light my candle, I always remember Gwen Araujo, who at 17 years old was murdered over 20 years ago. Her life had an impact on mine as I came out 15 years ago.

We heard various different speeches. A pastor of an LGBT friendly church spoke on the fact that God loves us all. He also spoke on the misnomer that trans healthcare for youth includes radical surgeries for them at a very young age. The reality is it's not easy for trans youth to get surgeries that young. It's more about allowing them to express who they are openly and without fear.

One of the youths in the community spoke out about how important the LGBT community center in the area is to them. In some cases, that is one of the very few places at which they feel comfortable being out as themselves.

A trans man in his 60s talked about his journey to come out. He only took that step a few years ago. He talked about an important conversation he had with a conservative neighbor, who happens to be a friend. At the end, that person told him that they learned a lot and had much to think about.

I don't think this event had more people in attendance than last year, but I did have more meaningful conversations this year. I learned a few things and was able to share my experiences with other people. I wish we didn't have to have events like these anymore, but such is the reality we live in.

It's important for us to remember the lives lost and the fact that death for simply being transgender is not acceptable. I know it's a meme on social media, but it's very true. Trans rights are human rights. TDOR will continue to be an important event to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Trans Rights Are Human Rights Is More Than A Slogan

Trans Rights Are Human Rights Is More Than A Slogan I'm working on expanding my social media activities beyond X, and one of the reasons...